You are here
Healthy Food Fuels Hungry Minds: Advancing Children’s Health In & Out of School
Presented by Harvard University Dining Services, Let's Talk About Food & The Massachusetts Health Council
6 CE Credits for School Nutrition Personnel
Countless children face a lifetime of health-related issues based on access to nutritious food. Our schools are on the front line of driving that access, and on educating children in the cafeteria and beyond about healthy choices. This third annual conference brings together all the essential stakeholders for a spirited discussion of common concerns and action steps that can mobilize all of us equally.
Speakers and attendees include school food professionals, parents, policy and wellness advocates, and officials and academicians in the fields of law, nutrition, public health and education.
Featuring Keynote addresses from:
• Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University
» Introduction by Walter Willett, MD, DrPh Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
• Betti Wiggins, CPM, SNS, Executive Director of Food Services, Detroit Public Schools
“Healthy Food Fuels Hungry Minds" is presented with the objective of enabling participants to make our kids’ nutrition the best in the nation by creating an environment both in and out of school where great nutrition is fostered and valued and healthy choices, including healthy beverages and clean, drinkable water, are always the easiest ones.
TOPICS (Click here for full agenda)
Key Focus Areas for Child Health In and Out of School, Spotlight on Sugar Sweetened Beverages and Increasing Access to Drinking Water
Marketing Food to Kids - Psychology and Behavior, Social Media, POS, Increasing Participation
Chef Demonstrations of School Food Recipes/Menus & Lunch: A Conversation on School Food in the City
Current Outlook on Food Policy & Funding In and Out of Schools
Increasing Breakfast Participation
School Wellness Committee Engagement
Fringe School Food - After School, Nights, Weekends, Summers, Food Trucks
Understanding School Food Funding for Non-School Nutrition Directors
Getting to the State House - Turning Ideas into Policy
FEATURED SPEAKERS AND PRESENTERS
- Caroline M. Apovian, MD, FACP, FACN, Director, Nutrition and Weight Management BMC; Professor of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine
- Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPh Dean of the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy, and the Jean Mayer Chair and Professor of Nutrition
- Sally Sampson, ChopChop Magazine
- Steven Gortmaker, Ph.D, Professor of the Practice of Health Sociology; Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, HSPH
- Laura Benevides, Boston Public Schools
- Emily Broad Leib & Food Law and Policy Clinic of Harvard Law School
Featured image courtesy of Shelburne Orchards.